29 Feb 2012

Allegiance

Allegiance (Legacy, #2)


TITLE: Allegiance

AUTHOR: Cayla Kluver

SERIES: Legacy #2

PUBLISHER: Harlequin Teen

FORMAT: ARC

          MORE INFO











An intriguing tale of fantasy and adventure by young author Cayla Kluver, Allegiance is actually my first novel of hers and certainly won’t be the last. Filled with magic, politics and a healthy dash of romance, this is another stunner from a rising star in writing.

At the beginning I was a tad apprehensive of Alera, I had mixed feelings about her and even thought she was a bit stiff. But as I turned the pages and learned more about her real life I came to appreciate her, and the strength she possesses in helping to manage her kingdom. Though she seemed mature to start with I enjoyed watching her own personal growth, and how it came to fit in with the role that she must undertake.

I hate to say this, but all I could think about during most of the book was the author’s age. Now, I am truly impressed that she has this level of skill and talent, and also the drive to get somewhere with it, but I felt it was kind of smothering me, cushioning all of my bad feelings. Moments where the writing was clunky and could have been polished up? It’s okay, she’s only a teenager. A slight undercurrent of tediousness in some parts? It’s okay, she’s…well, you get the picture. Overall I really admired her style and writing, and I certainly feel she has the right to be published, but at times I kind of felt like a kindergarten teacher who has to say that a squiggle and some glitter is wonderful, if only out of guilt.

One of the best things about this novel for me was that Kluver made Alera’s royal life interesting. Normally I skip the parts about all the meetings and ceremonies, but the author made them relevant to the plot and so it was easy to keep reading. With the added political intrigue that is woven in at opportune moments, the whole plot grabs your attention and keeps it firmly on the page.

Generally, I was very happy with this book. Though there were a few creases that can be ironed out with experience, Kluver has thoroughly impressed me and I feel will continue to do so in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment