11 Sept 2011

On Writing - Help

I'm going to let you guys in on a secret, well, something that nobody knows about me. You ready?
I write.

Yep, that's it, i write books.
Now, i am unpublished, and to be honest, i don't think i'll ever get into the published author club.
Not because i'm so terrible (which i probably am) but i'm terrified of letting anyone else of reading what i've written. It's kind of like they're being handed a cross section of my brain, free access to all my thoughts, ideas, secret desires... and i just don't want them to laugh at me or tell me it absolutely SUCKED.
Okay, so i may be slightly afraid of criticism, but i can take that, it's just that i don't think i want anyone that i actually KNOW to be able to see these things. Like, you hear most authors let their husband/wife/bf/gf be the first to read their finished manuscipt, i would rather DIE than let my boyfriend read any of my stories. Not that i don't trust him, i do. But as a member of the young-male club, sometimes he can be slightly...well, any female will know what i mean :D

So i decided to find some of those websites, where the community are all writers and can post, read, and give feedback on work. Within only a few days of posting my first few chapters (which was a HUGE step for me) i got some critical feedback from others. There were a lot of nice comments in there, but also some really helpful stuff i could, and did use.

So, to anyone who feels like me, a.k.a. worried about being rejected, i would absolutely recommend the online community. It gives you a huge boost in your writing ego, but also in your skills and ideas as a writer, whether published and unpublished.

And who knows? Maybe one day (in probably fifty years) you'll see my name on the shiny cover of a new release, and there'll be thousands of people reading my words, reviewing them.
But for now, it's one step at a time, and if i get there, i get there.

Omnom Out,
Imo <l:)>

No comments:

Post a Comment